About Salem works.
The strategic location of the Salem plant allows it to cater to the demanding needs of the major auto hubs in South India. Located around 340 kilometers from Chennai and 180 kilometers from Bangalore, it is well connected with railway lines, highways and ports, which makes the transportation of raw materials and finished products easy. This, coupled with its start-of-the-art technology and unique processes, makes Salem a steel plant that’s truly a cut above the rest.
JSW Steel Ltd., Salem Works, India’s largest Special Alloy Steel Plant (Long products) has been awarded the coveted Deming Prize for 2019.
A trailblazer, in every sense
- The largest special steel plant in India with 1 MTPA Capacity
- The leading virgin special steel producer
- Produces more than 850 special grades of steel
- Provides a wide range of sizes and grades all under one roof
- Utilizes a 8 Stand H/V Mill for superior size reduction
- Uses the Kocks block technology for providing ¼ DIN standard
- It also has a phased array technology that detects internal defects
- Successfully achieves zero-waste discharge
- One of the few plants to use Energy Optimizing Furnace (EOF) for special steel production
Further refining of steel is done in Ladle furnace by deoxidizing and desulphurizing the steel under continuous Argon / Nitrogen purging which facilitates flotation of inclusions, homogenization of Chemistry and Temperature. Targeted chemistry and temperature is achieved by requisite addition of Ferro Alloys under Arcing conditions. In VD, Liquid Steel is exposed to < 1 mbar pressure level which serves purposes from reducing dissolved gases to removal of Non-Metallic Inclusions
Three Strands Continuous Casting Machine with double radius of 9/16 meters for Billets (CCM1) and triple radius of 12/16.5/30 meters for Blooms (CCM2 and 3). CCMs' are equipped with Ar shroud, Tundish with Dams & Weir, SEN, Slag Detection System, AMLC, EMS for Internal Quality Improvement
Hot Rolled Size range : 20 to 65ø Bars, 5.5 to 32ø Wire Rod, 60X7 to 101X38 Flats, 20 to 45 Hex-Bars, 20 to 32 Hex-Wire Rod and 20 to 65ø Precision Rolled Black Bars from the input blooms ranging from 160 to 220 square / RCS. It Contains Reducing Sizing Block (RSB) by which we can supply Precision Rolled Black Bars (Close Dimensional Tolerance). Wire Rod Production line is equipped with Hot Eye Inspection facility for Surface Inspection
for Salem Plant
· The CII-ITC Sustainability Award
· The IIM Sustainability Award
· The IMC Ramakrishna Bajaj Award
· The Kaizan Mela Award
· Awarded by CII-EXIM for Business Excellence
· CQCC, ICQCC and NQCC Convention Awards